Friday, 6 July 2012

Module One - Tools to Collect

I ended up really taking the topic of this module to heart when I designed my first project.  My students will be doing a lot of collecting but other than their repository of information, OneNote, the other tools they use will be up to them.  I have set up a template for the project (see screenshot below) which I will introduce to the class using my SmartBoard.  Students will then create their own notebooks, saving them in a shared folder with their names as the filename.  I will let them adjust their sections as long as they include at least six.  I also set up three pages for each section using the same titles: notes, practice problems, and Internet links.  I think I will ask them to keep these pages just so it is easier to follow and assess their work.  I have not completed the rubric yet and doing so may change some of these smaller details.
I have used OneNote in the past but don't have a lot of experience with it so at first I was hesitant to suggest this project.  Then I remembered that I had the same feeling when I had a class use Inspiration to set up an atomic theory timeline.  I had minimal experience with that program but thought it might have good potential.  After walking around the lab during the first 15 minutes of class I had learned so much just by seeing what my students had tried.  Students did not have the option to use another program with the atomic theory timeline but another time when we were in the lab for a concept mapping activity about half the class chose to use Word and the other half used Inspiration.  I am hoping the same thing will happen with this project.  If my students and I see potential with OneNote then we will try to use it more collaboratively another time.  Another option if the project goes well is that students could continue using their digital notebook, adding the more advanced content we cover in the Science 10 course.

No comments:

Post a Comment