Friday, 27 July 2012

Module Three - Tools to Connect

I decided to make my third project about collaboration using Twitter.  I would like to try this with my grade 12 IB chemistry class starting in September.  I chose this class for a few reasons: small class size; more mature age group; and future opportunities for second semester.  In February our IB science classes will be completing their group 4 project which has a collaborative component to it.  Students are expected to work together across the science disciplines and collaboration between schools in different regions is also encouraged.  If using Twitter in the classroom proves to be practical and successful in the first semester then we could very likely incorporate it into the group 4 project.  I am certain that our IB biology teacher would be on board with this idea as well.

Before investing too much into this idea I did read up on our district and school policies with respect to technology and social media and I don't believe this project to be in violation of any of those guidelines.  I usually identify the curricular outcomes for any project I undertake with my classes but I felt it was particularly important in this case.  I actually only listed general outcomes on the project information sheet because there were too many specific outcomes in each category to list!  A good sign I'd say.

The details of this project are somewhat nebulous as I don't know exactly what direction(s) will be most useful.  Ways that I would like to try using Twitter with my students are as follows: a backchannel for class discussions while working on labs/projects/assignments; searching for current events related to the topic of study; connecting with scientists in the field; vocabulary definitions; formative assessment prompts (i.e., identifying the most important part of a lesson); answering a "problem-of-the-day"; due date reminders; etc.

At this point I don't see the project being used for formal grading purposes and have left that part of my project blank.  However, this may change down the road as the project evolves.  Ideally I would like to work with another teacher to put together a rubric and/or checklist for participation.

Twitter Talk
Chemistry 30 IB
Objective:
To search and share course-related information using Twitter. 
Outcomes:
Ø  critically assess information accessed through the use of a variety of technologies [ICT C3]
Ø  use technology to aid collaboration during inquiry [ICT C5]
Ø  use electronic research techniques to construct personal knowledge and meaning [ICT C7]
Ø  understand the role of technology as it applies to self, work and society [ICT F2]
Ø  use communication technology to interact with others [ICT P6]
Ø  engender an awareness of the need for, and the value of, effective collaboration and communication during scientific activities  [IB Aim 5]
Ø  develop and apply information and communication technology skills in the study of science  [IB Aim 7]
Details:
You will need a Twitter account to participate.  You may use a pre-existing account or create one solely for class purposes if you prefer.  All posts made with the respect to the course should include the following hashtag: #TBA.
While using technology in and/or for school purposes you are expected to do so in a responsible manner.  You may wish to review our school district technology guidelines here, here, and here.  Your agenda also contains information on acceptable use of technology.
Due Date:  ongoing
Assessment: TBA


No comments:

Post a Comment